Sunday, December 3, 2017

December 3rd - Appalachian Brewing Company Jolly Scot


Happy Sunday readers!  Tonight's selection comes from a local craft beer company in the Harrisburg area, Appalachian Brewing Company.  Looking through my Untappd check-in list for ABC, I've actually only had 8 of their beers from their list of 322 possibilities they (or other users) have added onto this app.  Make that 9 if you count their 717 Collaboration Ale, which, if I remember correctly, was pretty good!  Let's see how this one goes before seeking out some other stuff though.



Admittedly, this is a company that I usually sleep on, most times passing on their stuff, not because of poor quality but because of abundance locally.  I guess my assumption is that I can get it whenever I'd like since they're so close and the local distributors, as well as grocery stores, always have their stuff in stock.  My brother and sister-in-law rave about the taproom and food selection in the Harrisburg location.  Sadly, I've never been, but there's plenty of time coming up over the holidays!



Jolly Scot Scottish Style Ale is a 5.94% ABV year-round offering from ABC that I guess (again according to Uptappd) I've actually had before.  The first time was back in 2013 along with another check-in last Christmas Eve at a family Christmas party.  Both times, I've given it a 3.5 out of 5 in the past.  Let's see if that holds up this go around.

The scottish style beer is something I enjoy from time to time, mainly in the fall months.  Roasted malts along with sweet caramel flavors are pronounced in this style.  Smoked and/or roasted malts always appeal to me and make me feel like I'm sitting near a campfire outside on a nice crisp fall evening.  Old Chub from Oskar Blues is probably one of the best from this style that I've had, at least for something offered year round.  Backwoods Bastard from Founder's Brewing is probably at the top of the Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy category for me, personally.  However, I do hear that the folks downtown at Selinsgrove Brewing make a tasty Wee Heavy called St. Fillian's. 

St. Fillian's Wee Heavy from Selinsgrove Brewing Company
(Photo Credit: T. Raymond via Untappd)

As for today's selection (a scottish ale, not scotch or wee heavy), the beer poured an amber red color with a thin head at the top.  Aroma had what I expected in the sweet, roasted and caramel malts along with some notes of raisin as well.  The beer also gave the taste of the roasted malty sweetness with a slight bitterness.  This scottish ale was fairly light in body however, which I didn't really expect.  Thanks to reader Matt V. for educating me after the fact, that is just what I should have anticipated.  This is something lighter, all around compared to a Scotch Ale or Wee Heavy. Comparatively, Old Chub is much more robust, but that's by style. Finishing up, this beer leaves that sweet and malty flavor to make you want to come back for another sip.

Then the day is mine! I just needed to use Sean Connery here somewhere...no rhyme, no reason...but there is a kilt and that fits the theme.

If it weren't for the light body, I'd definitely put this way above the others mentioned here already, but it's not something I'll put on a pedestal unfortunately.  However, if you'd rather something from the Scottish category that is lighter in body and lower in ABV, I'd give this one a try.  I'm sticking with my original 3.5/5 rating. 



No comments:

Post a Comment