Friday, December 12, 2014

December 12 - Avery Brewing - Old Jubilation

Avery Brewing Company - Old Jubilation Ale

Happy Friday everyone!  Up for tasting tonight is another winter warmer.  I have to get them in a few times since there are so many currently in my refrigerator.  This one comes from Avery Brewing Company out of Boulder, Colorado.  I've had a few of their beers so far (IPA, DIPA, Wit) and was ready to try this one today on a cold day, to warm things up a bit. 

This was a pick-up by my wife a few days ago in a random errand run.  Thankfully, my wife ends up helping me out by saving time on my errand runs.  Thanks sweetheart! :)



Anyway, this beer, like lots of other winter warmers, clocks in at 8.3% ABV. 

When pouring this beer there was a deep brown (mahogany according to the bottle notes) color with an off-white head at the top.  The aroma at first gave me a roasted as well as sweet caramel tone.  Also according to the bottle, there are supposed to be some hazelnut undertones that go with this particular beer.  I think the hops that were used ended up contributing to that aroma.

The bottle also says that there are no spices used, however, I beg to differ.  I have no idea what the combination actually was, but there was definitely some spice added to this brew to off-set the malty profile.  The spices weren't overpowering at all, but something was in there for sure.  The hop profile gave me a spruce/pine flavor that, again, contributed to the hazelnut notes that I picked up.  The sweet, and malty backbone of this beer made it very smooth tasting which finished with hints of toffee.



...but that was when it was cold.  As this beer warmed, things turned south for my palate.  Maybe it was the double coffee stout that I had before it.  Maybe it was the few samples of other new brews that I had earlier today also.  As it warmed up, there was an aroma that, for me, was super-boozy.  This beer left me with a bad taste in my mouth as I got towards the bottom of the glass (literally, of course). 

Something must be done right, because according to RateBeer this particular winter warmer (classified on there as an English Strong Ale) had nearly 1200 ratings from people like me, along with scoring a 99 on style and fell in the 96th percentile. 

For me though, I wouldn't recommend this beer to someone looking for a winter warmer.  As a matter of fact, my brother in law asked me for my humble recommendations on winter warmers before I had this one this evening and I made it a point to steer him clear of it for sure.

Unfortunately, Frosty tells the tale here

Frosty tells the tale... 2.5 / 5 snowmen
They want to know what happened here?!?!?



No comments:

Post a Comment