Monday, December 8, 2014

December 8 - Bell's - Venus

Bells Brewing Company - Venus 


Taking a break from the chocolate, coffee, and all other flavors that give beer a brown appearance.  Tonight we switch things up completely by enjoying a blonde ale from Bell's Brewing in Michigan.  This beer is the 2nd in a series that this company is running called the Planets Series.  I saw this at the store and since I had the first one, Mars (a DIPA that was freakin' awesome, by the way), I had to give this one a shot too.  Mom and dad always said, "if you start something, you need to finish it."

Solid advice for all occasions!

This beer poured a golden, translucent, blonde color.  The head was off-white and dissipated quickly after pouring. Strangely enough, there was some floating matter in it, from the sediment at the bottom of the bottle.  Very appropriate for a space themed beer if I do say so myself! 

Captain Picard agrees!
The label pulls no punches in making sure you know that the beer is brewed with apricot juice, honey, cardamom (not sure I've ever had this spice), and vanilla beans added.  Sounds sweet right?

Well it is...figuratively and literally.  As soon as this beer hit my lips it was sweet city!  The apricot hits you first, followed by what I assume is cardamom, then thick, malty honey followed by smoothing vanilla.  There are a ton of flavors going on in here!  

I had some assistance from the wife tonight and her quick synopsis goes a little like this:
"Tastes like wine...an apricot wine or a mead."

Simple enough! 

At 7.5%, this blonde ale packs a small punch along with quenching thirst.  I see this as a pretty sweet spring/summer beer that you enjoy (not chug) after working outside.  A winter beer though?  Not so much.  It was released in October, and with the way that distribution works for the microbrewer, this beer doesn't hit shelves until early to mid-November.  By that time it's just too late to release this, but I get it.  The planets have to go in order.  You won't be seeing Earth in this series...or Pluto...



For what it is, this blonde was a little overpowering at first sip, but after my taste buds got acclimated to what I was drinking, they settled in for the long haul.  I can't say I wouldn't drink it again, but I also don't know that I would seek it out in stores.  These guys have a lot of other styles that suit me better as well as those I've not yet had.  Hopslam anyone?  

3 out of 5 planets agree...Venus is a solid choice if you like sweet and beer together


Does your beer have it's own custom cap?

No comments:

Post a Comment