Thursday, December 18, 2014

December 18 - Roy Pitz - Daddy Fatsacks

 Roy Pitz Brewing Company - Daddy Fat Sacks

Ok...let's be honest for a second.  If you tell me you've never bought something because of either the packaging or the name, you would be a liar.  Now that we're on the same page and being honest with each other, that is EXACTLY why I bought this beer.  I mean, really, Daddy Fat Sacks?  That's like the epitome of a metaphor for Santa Claus, right?

The Original Daddy Fat Sacks

Roy Pitz Brewing Company, which is a new one to me, is just down the road a bit in Chambersburg, PA.  After looking at the bottle and the strange label that accompanied it, I had to visit the website.  Turns out that these guys are all about creating "liquid art".  It looks like their labels are as creative as their beers.  There are the 4 flagship beers, along with 4 seasonal beers, and 18 specialty brews that are listed on the site.  The brew with the most intriguing name is a specialty released in January called Chicken Leg Oatmeal Stout.  It gets me curious enough to think that maybe they use chicken in the beer?  Probably not, but I'd give it a shot anyway!

...I bet Ludacris would too


Tonight's beer is an American IPA according to Roy Pitz's website.  My go-to beer app Untappd listed it as a Double IPA.  Either way, I can't pass up a new IPA to try, so let's get to it!

I decided to use my specialty Dogfish Head IPA glass to taste this beer tonight and gave it a hefty pour as you can see by the photo.  The head was ginormous!  The beer poured a cloudy, golden orange color.  Upon further inspection it looked like someone dropped a yeast bomb in the glass because there was flakes of sediment everywhere in here which turned me off at first, but I decided to keep an open mind.  This wasn't the first time I've seen sediment in a beer glass before.

...or in a carboy...I drink my own yeast when I brew, so why not someone else's?


The aroma was a floral hop bouquet that had earthy notes and grapefruit.  There was also some malt presence here too, which exhibited itself as mostly a bready, yeasty aroma. 

The taste of this brew threw me off since I was initially expecting a DIPA instead of an American IPA.  There was much more sweet malt flavor compared to the overabundance of hops that I expected.  There was definitely a mild citrus hop bite (and I mean mild) that was predominantly grapefruit.  Even for an American IPA, there wasn't much bitterness here whatsoever.  If you followed the link above, most beers in this style category are much hoppier than this was.  I truly expected to be blown away by hops with this IPA.

I would definitely drink this beer as another go-to IPA if it were more readily available in my area.  The ABV is up there at 7.5% but there is virtually no alcohol presence here at all.  I do enjoy my hops, but the balance here between sweet malt and bitter hops is ridiculous.  I don't know that I've ever seen a more balanced beer in this respect.  For the IPA hater (and I know a few) this may be a safe bet to possibly venture into the realm of the hoppy.  As for the IPA lover, you still get your hop fix while appreciating a well-crafted brew from a local craft brewery. 


A solid 3.5 / 5 hops tonight!




No comments:

Post a Comment