Monday, December 15, 2014

December 15 - Duclaw Brewing - Guilty Filthy Soul

DuClaw Brewing Company - Guilty Filthy Soul


My first visit to DuClaw Brewing Company was about 3 years too early.  I was there for my best friends bachelor party to kick off the festivities for the night and we sat down to get some brews and food.  I vaguely remember anything about the beers because I didn't appreciate the craft brew scene at the time.  I probably was "that guy" who asked a local brewpub for "something that tasted like Miller Lite."

You can dress this beer up in a fancy glass, but ...
...it's a good looking pig in this case though...


I have recommended these guys to others when they get to the Fells Point area in the Baltimore area, but have found out that they no longer set up shop there.  Luckily, my neighborhood bottle shop decides to pick up a lot of their stuff since they are relatively local so we can all try their awesome creations.  These guys don't make a bad beer.  Well, if they do, I haven't had it yet.  

Tonight's beer is an Imperial Chocolate Rye Porter that clocks in at 7.7%.  Whoever came up with the name hits this right on the head.  Do you enjoy chocolate and want to feel guilty about it?  Well, then this is for you!

Really though...who doesn't love chocolate???

This porter poured an opaque, black color with a creamy beige colored head.  There was some significant lacing left in this glass at the end.  The aroma was very unique in that it smelled like semi-sweet chocolate, coffee, and cocoa.  Most porters that I have had in the past have a roasted note to them, but not this one.  I did see that others, via RateBeer, noted roasted aromas, but I couldn't convince myself that was the case here.

The taste, like the bottle describes, is a velvety, smooth chocolate and coffee combo that comes off as sweet, yet balanced.  I like my hops for sure, but I don't get too much hoppy bite from anything going on here until the very end.  Even then, the hop bite may be confused with the spicy rye flavor that I believe finishes off this beer.


Solid Combo of Beer and Chocolate!  4 out of 5!



No comments:

Post a Comment