Tuesday, December 18, 2018

December 18th - Listermann Brewing Company 99 Problems But a Beer Ain't One



Yet another Tavour snag, coming just due west out of Cincinnatti, Ohio is a beer from Listermann Brewing Company, 99 Problems But A Beer Ain't One.  This selection is another New England IPA that is brewed with Citra and Wakatu hops.


we never made it here unfortunately

I honestly grabbed this because it reminded me of that guy up above there bobbing his head and trips to NYC with my wife to visit my brother and sister in law.  My wife and I used to pretend we were pretty BA and blast the Black Album while rolling down Harlem River Drive back before any of us had kids.  When we approached the neighborhood where they lived, I definitely made sure we didn't roll down 117th street and Madison Avenue at too high of a volume though.  I wasn't afraid of anything, just wanted to make sure we knew where we were going and didn't get lost is all.  You turn down the volume on your radio when you're pulling up to house too, right?

I know I used it last night too...but it's appropriate! HAHAHA

Not sure exactly what the deal is, but it appears that there is a homage to hip-hop culture when it comes to naming some of Listermann's beers.  Taking a look at their current taplist (on 12/18/18), there is a beer called PAC, a west coast IPA, BIGGIE, an east coast IPA, and Hops Gon Give It To Ya, a NEIPA.  If you don't know why the last one is a homage to hip-hop, we can't be friends anymore.






Another 16 ounce can poured into my DFH IPA glass tonight resulted in a pale and golden color, almost rather turbid honestly with a frothy white head at the top after a pretty vigorous pour.  

Brewed with Citra and Wakatu hops, I expect large amounts of orange and citrus fruit on the nose (from the Citra hops) and some more citrus along with some lime and clover honey (from the Wakatu hops used this go round).

For me, there was an earthy, sweet malt aroma mixed in with some spruce or pine.  There was definitely some citrus here, but it was rather mild in comparison to the rest.  There is also some slight sweet honey notes any maybe just a touch of lime zest.

As for the flavor, it doesn't really knock my socks off at all.  I will say that for a NEIPA, there is a very soft acidity here.  We all know my feeling on higher acidity beers by now.  The body is just south of medium and almost gives me a watery feeling on the palate.  The earthy hop aroma also comes through in the flavor with slight hints of resin.  



The thing that is bothering me, still as I write this up after taking some notes on a post-it is the fact that something is lingering on my tongue after each and every sip.  It's something that I really can't put my finger on at all.  I want to say it's bubble gum, but something in me tells me that it's a lime flavor.  Whatever it is, it's messing with me tonight, a lot.

Since it's from Ohio, it's possible you'd be able to get this west of here, towards Pittsburgh, but I'm not sure what distribution looks like.  The fact that it went from Ohio, to Seattle, Washington and back here, tells me that you're not going to have an easy time locating it anytime in the near future.  If you see it, give it a whirl and help me figure out what that lingering taste on the back end of things is tonight.


The can art is pretty cool here too, and another tip of the cap to the hip-hop community 




No comments:

Post a Comment