Thursday, December 6, 2018

December 6th - New Trail Brewing Company Tripel


Something new for the masses this evening.  I likely won't be able or willing to do this again this month, but for tonight, I shall review a Belgian-Style Triple on a Thursday.  Not quite Winter Warmer Wednesday, but you get the idea.  New theme...what will the people think?



Locally, the distribution chain for this new-ish (Established in November 2017) brewery has been outstanding.  I don't know about you all, but I usually don't get the chance to have multiple canned/bottled beers (these guys strictly can from what I know) before visiting a place, however that's what I've experienced with this Williamsport Brewery.  New Trail Brewing (240 Arch St. Building 18 in Williamsport) has a pretty quaint and cozy place for being smack dab in the middle of an industrial park.  


A few weekends ago, a friend invited my wife and myself to journey north to visit this place.  When we started driving into the location where the brewery and taproom are housed, I felt we weren't driving the right kind of big rig hauler to go past the industrial park gates (he drove an SUV for the record), but that didn't stop us from enjoying a sampler or two and some food truck appetizers before dinnertime.  When the weather gets nicer outside, there is a decent outdoor seating area to chill and partake in some outdoor games (like large Jenga and some ring toss) or relax by an outdoor fire pit.  A very laid back locale for certain!

The weather inside was just fine by me! Faux fireplace via projector and cold beer! 

Before tonight's review, I need to tell you, that beer up above is New Trail's Little Bear.  A 'campfire stout' brewed with "graham cracker, vanilla, lactose and a wide variety of rich dark German malts."  There were roasted coffee notes and cacao nib flavors in this 5% little piece of s'more's goodness.  That sucker was AMAZING!  I did talk to one of the folks working (may have been the head brewer for all I know) and he told me that the response has been very good for Little Bear that they're planning on canning it next time around!  



Unfortunately, I forgot my emergency growler at home that evening.  Instead, I picked up two 4 packs.  I snagged Flannel Weather, a New Zealand Style Hazy NEIPA and the Belgian-Style Tripel.

Part of sampler #1


Most of the distributed beers that I enjoy from this brewery are of the IPA or NEIPA style.  There is a hazy IPA dubbed Holiday Cookie that is coming soon that I may have to get my hands on and review as well later this month.  Maybe just in time for family cookie baking day...



As for this particular beer, their Belgian-Style Tripel, it pours a relatively clean and clear golden hue with some slight haziness.  There is an ever so thin bead of head at the top of the pour from the 16 ounce can.

The aroma is that of any traditional Belgian Tripel, slight banana and clove undertones here, but nothing very overpowering.  There is also a nice toffee-malt sweetness there as well, to round things out before sipping on this 8.6% brew.

I'm going to sound very stereotypical here, but to me, this tastes like a beer where nothing too fancy was attempted to be done.  Just straight forward Belgian Tripel.  It's clean, crisp and nowhere close to boozy and overpowering on the alcohol side of things for the style.  The beer has its sweet maltiness with virtually no hop bitterness whatsoever.  I get the banana and clove flavors that come through on the palate towards the end of the sip as expected.  Simple. Clean. True to style.  All in all, a tripel worth travelling for!  Last I checked, this was available in-house for now, but will be distributed very soon!






No comments:

Post a Comment