Friday, December 14, 2018

December 14th - Evergrain Brewing Company - Sampler Friday!

A mid-morning doctor appointment allowed me to take a day today and enjoy some company with my wife along with an excuse to finish up some Christmas shopping in Harrisburg.  A pre-requisite of any shopping trip I agree to outside of a 20 mile radius is the ability, if I choose to do so, to visit somewhere to grab a quick drink and bite to eat.  That's not asking too much, is it?



After traipsing through various clothing stores I figured that I earned the ability to ask for a quick pit stop on the way home.  I asked an old college fraternity brother of mine, who is local to the area, if there was anywhere he recommended I should stop.  He got back to me pretty quickly and recommended Ever Grain Brewing Company, in Camp Hill.  One of my co-workers frequents the place and also recommends it highly.  I've had some of their canned stuff before and it's spot-on.



Instead of reviewing just one beer at length tonight, you're getting a few.  My wife and I split a few samples today and I'll give you my take on what I think, from a general standpoint.  Not too much aroma and flavor notes tonight.  Just straight to the point.  Should you try it or not?




(Top Left) Big Bad Wolf - A collaboration with Wolf Brewing Company, a triple IPA that was outstanding to drink today.  A 10.1% ABV beer that masked the alcohol bite very well.  Very fruity and enjoyable, so be careful!  I snagged a crowler to take home too!  Derek has made an appearance or two at the Selinsgrove Brewfest and his stuff is amazing!  I didn't realize it was a collaboration effort until writing this tonight and I shouldn't be surprised at the quality here.  Awesome!

(Top Right) Blue Detour - Another quality IPA selection today, full of fruit, but more bitter than the above selection, which was OK in my book.  Cans are locally available for sure if you'd like to try it.  I recommend this one also for any hophead.  

(Bottom Left) Oompa Loompa Stout - An oatmeal stout full of smooth chocolate flavor.  Not too much on the coffee side of things and very light on the ABV at 5.2%.  Creamy and also enjoyable.  

(Bottom Right) Dark Necessity - A Russian Imperial Stout that, for my taste, was way too bitter.  I usually finish what I order, but I left this one behind unfortunately.  I generally enjoy sipping a RIS on occasion, but today wasn't that time I guess.  Roasted malts and coffee take the bitter to another level here for sure, but this one was not my thing.



We had some time, so I had just 2 more that I wanted to try from the list below (see photo):

Strawberry IPA - Definitely as advertised...a smooth, soft and creamy strawberry flavor was present.  I expected something that tasted artificially flavored, but it definitely tasted like the real thing.  Not overpowering on the strawberry side of things at all.  Definitely another must-try IPA.

2nd Anniversary BBA Stout - I'm a sucker, like others, for a nice bourbon barrel aged stout.  Sweet and malty enough to warm things up on the inside for sure.  Even though Dark Necessity didn't thrill me at all, it definitely works when aged in a bourbon barrel.  Another crowler for the cooler to make it back home tonight!

Full list on Friday, 12/14 - Thanks for the photo DD!
If you're ever in the Camp Hill area, definitely swing by this place.  There is food on the one side of the building (with full service, if you're into that thing) and a beer garden, a la Troegs, on the other.  Plenty of space to enjoy a beer or two!  Cheers!

Hey, Ever Grain...nice job!


No comments:

Post a Comment