Friday, December 21, 2018

December 21st - Left Hand Brewing Company Chai Milk Stout Nitro



Well, it's official.  It's Friday and Christmas break is finally here.  This last week has been pretty tiresome between work, responsibilities of being an adult and beer blogging.  Top that all off with a family Christmas party that only offered Coors Light and Blue Moon.  I'd say that it's time for a proper drink this evening.

It wasn't a craft beer pub, but at least the food was decent!

Tonight, from Colorado, is Left Hand Brewing Company's Chai Milk Stout, the nitro version.  I expect this to be a pretty easy drinking beer with a fuller body at smaller 5% ABV.  I hope this sweet stout is just like the original just with some additional, complimentary spices added.  Not sure what the exact blend will be, but it's brewed with "aromatic spices," according to the 13.65 ounce can.



Yep, you read that right.  I thought it was a pounder can instead of this random number.  Maybe the fact that it's filled with nitrogen gas instead of CO2 gas to carbonate the beer, plays a role?  Maybe you can't fill it as full?  

I really don't feel like taking the time to look this up, so chalk it up to science!

In any event, I personally think that this company does some pretty good stuff.  Their original Nitro Milk Stout is something that I reviewed a few years ago, and I still believe it's pretty darn good!

A vigorous pour down the center of my nonic pint glass resulted in a beautiful cascading of nitrogen bubbles to the top of this nearly opaque black beer.  This quickly turned in to an ever-present and frothy head at the top.  Not sure how I feel about this, but there is some sediment in this glass too...floaters galore that are suspended in the animation that is my drinking vessel.



The aroma is definitely a chai spice bouquet, dominated by cardamom and cinnamon.  With each sip, a sweet lactose sugar fills the taste buds first, and from a spice standpoint, the cardamom definitely takes the stage with some lingering cinnamon and other spices on the backside.  Star anise, slight vanilla and even some orange notes come into play throughout the sip.  The spices are definitely the focus of this beer and it shows.  For my taste, this is just a little too much for the creamy and fuller body of the milk stout style.  I will say, however, that as the beer warmed up just a tad towards the bottom of the glass, the spiciness subsided slightly and things meshed together a bit better for my subjective palate.  


Tonight, in my humble opinion, this was a tad overboard.  If you're a spiced beer person, I'd give it a try, but it was more spice that I think was needed, especially given the style.  Not sure if it was the lactose from the milk stout, the nitro versus CO2 carbing, or something else, but it just doesn't match up for my taste.  For the $3 I spent on the can, it's worth the Untappd check-in to try something unique and new tonight.  I, however, won't purchase this again.  


I think it's now time for an IPA tonight...and maybe tomorrow as well.  I can't go wrong there...I hope!


No comments:

Post a Comment