Saturday, December 10, 2016

December 10 - Pizza Boy Spandex, Glitter and Egos IPA

Why did I open with this...Spandex, Glitter and Ego?  Richard Simmons came to mind first of course!!

Listen, it's been a long day.  My wife and I finished up some Christmas shopping in Hershey, followed up by a trip to Toys 'R Us in Mechanicsburg.  Where else would I want to have a beer, I mean lunch, than Al's of Hampden/Pizza Boy?  If you're in the area, heading South on I-81, make the stop here and try some beers on tap that you just can't get anywhere.  There aren't samplers available, but a lot of their beers you can get 8 ounce glasses of instead of a draft.  Be warned, the full draft is only a buck or so more.  Take a friend and share a glass (or 5) instead!

What other beer place have you been to that has their taplist on 42" screens and makes you order by number instead of name?  
I was hankering for some lunch while we were here so I got a good ol' turkey and cheese sub with 2 of their 8 ounce beer selections.  I decided to grab 2 IPAs since's that's my thing.  

It's kinda my thing, you know?
I got a #38 and a #67.  #38 was called LegenDairy - Peaches.  It is an IPA that was dubbed a milk sugar IPA.  I'm assuming that some lactose was added in here to sweeten things up a bit.  A new style to me.  There was an awesome peach aroma to the beer along some with fruity hop bitterness.  #67 was also had, and also put into a crowler.  

#67 on the left and #38 on the right.  Any, my turkey sub on the far right.  Nevermind Daryl Dixon and his jacket in the background here.  Look at that taplist!!!!!

I've mentioned crowler's before, but think, canned growler.  If that still doesn't make sense, get educated on the crowler here, by the folks at Oskar Blues.  The folks at Al's are one of the only local place I'm aware of that will can the draft beer for you.  Troegs in Hershey is the only other one I'm aware of, locally.  Good thing too because I forgot my good friend's advice on keeping an emergency growler in the car at all times.  Otherwise, I'd have no beer to speak of tonight.

Yeah, you're right...definitely exaggerated that statement.  There's plenty of beer in this house.

Anyway, I decided to scoop up a to-go can of #67 and another Pizza Boy staple, Sunny Side Up (#47 today).  I'll be enjoying that tomorrow with the impending winter storm.  Maybe I'll even write about it.  

1-3 inches...more like a dusting of nothingness...but we need milk anyway

I just realized that I never even told you the name of this beer, #67.  Well, you won't believe me, so I took a screenshot of their webpage.  It's called Spandex, Glitter, and Egos.

see...true story...

A Pennsylvania IPA (not sure what that is honestly...), this beer is a 6% juicy and fruity piece of hop holiness.  It poured a hazy golden color with a thick head that left some amazing lacing the entire way down the glass 2 and a half times over.  Remember, 32 ounces is more than 2 beers, but less than 3.  


The aroma was that of a can of tropical fruit.  There was some peach, cherry and banana that I got along with some slightly earthy and pine notes.  The beer itself was like drinking some pineapple juice that left a mild, yet lingering bitterness.  The beer wrapped up with a citrus tang that balanced things out perfectly.  I didn't need a label to pick a beer tonight.  The name did that for me.  Oh, Al, if you read this, can you please comment below on how the hell you came up with this name?  I'd love to hear the story! 

I'm going 4.5 out of 5 tonight for this juicy PA IPA!  Cheers!


I know..."you stay til' the job's done." Don't worry Mickey, I finished the crowler off...
Never watched the movie Snatch?  You need to! Take my word for it!


No comments:

Post a Comment