Friday, December 9, 2016

December 9 - Dogfish Head Higher Math

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!


Today my wife and I celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary, so what better way to celebrate than to open a bottle that both of us wanted to try last year!  

...this was a survivor from last year.  My cellaring doesn't usually last too long, let alone a year.

Tonight from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, is their special release from 2015, called Higher Math.  This was a release to celebrate their 20th year in business (I guess it's 21 now).  Coming in at a hefty 17% ABV, this is something I needed to share and sip at the same time after dinner tonight.



Some of my friends who had this last year, fresh off the bottling line, mentioned that it tasted like chocolate and cherry flavored cough syrup.  Needless to say, I was OK with letting it age for a while.  I'm hoping that a year will be enough time to let things like that die down for a little bit.  Straight from the DFH site, their tasting notes appear simple enough:


The color and pour are spot on along with a lack of a head on this beer.  The aroma was that of a boozy cherry and sweet, thick caramel.  The aroma is very heavy, almost syrup-like.  I'm not sure how that's possible, but take my word for it.  A lot about this beer resembles their Raison D'Etre, which is made with raisins.  I get a lot of qualities from that beer here as well.  You could convince me there are some plum aromas here as well.  Those fruity esters got it all!

well...maybe just the pineapple...definitely not a pen...

The flavor and mouthfeel are spot on from above as well.  I really have nothing to add to their notes for that.  This is a chocolate-cherry cordial type of beverage, just at a lighter ABV (relative to a normal cordial).  The warming qualities are just right for this cold, winter night.  

His and hers glasses tonight!  A solid 3.5/5 for this special night!

No comments:

Post a Comment