Thursday, December 15, 2016

December 15 - Evil Genius O'Doyle Rules Almost IPA


Don't worry, I didn't forget about you.  It's definitely late, I'll give you that.  Just sitting down now to use my computer for some fun, decompressing writing as opposed to planning some lessons for tomorrow.  I hope my laptop battery holds up...


Tonight, I'm not really feeling a beer, but I decided to give it a go anyway.  I reached for something I know in an IPA and something lighter (5.5% here) in ABV.  I need me some sleep.  This should help slightly.  

From Evil Genius out of Philly tonight, we're trying their O'Doyle Rules Almost IPA.  This particular brew comes in at the higher scale of a session IPA.  If you're unaware of the session IPA style, check it out if you have the time.  Again, basically, a lighter ABV version of the IPA.  

Nah...just kidding...I did my beer homework!


These guys have some crazy names for their beer that usually (not always) originate from various pop culture references.  "Stacy's Mom IPA" is what I believe to be a reference to the song by Fountains of Wayne, "Shut up, Meg Farmhouse IPA" a credit to Family Guy, and "Santa!! I know him! Festive Saison" a clear homage to the Christmas movie Elf.


The choice tonight cannot be mistaken for anything other than a Billy Madison inspired beer.

These guys made it easy to add photos tonight 
The beer poured a hazy golden color with a nice off-white head that stuck around long enough to finish this one.  The aroma was strictly an earthy grapefruit one since this beer was dry hopped with citra and amarillo hops.


The flavor was pretty straight forward for me in that it was a slightly less bitter than expected grapefruit.  The hops in this are just perfect for a hophead as well as someone who's not too into hops at all.  The bitterness is here, but if you're a grapefruit or citrus fan who doesn't like overly bitter beers, you may want to give this one a shot if you're trying to find that IPA that you like.  I know lots of folks who say this, so take note!


A pretty solid choice tonight, all things considered.  I like what these guys do with their stuff and it appears they're starting to get some more options out there for us consumers here in central PA.  Next year, be sure to pick up their chocolate pumpkin porter, Trick or Treat.  Another solid choice if you're a pumpkin season beer fan.

4 out of 5 O'Doyle's agree...solid brew!



No comments:

Post a Comment