Monday, December 12, 2016

December 12 - Weyerbacher Brewing Easton Brown and Down

We're hitting the almost-halfway point tonight, blogging day 12 out of 25.  Nothing too striking in the fridge tonight, but one particular beer called me for some strange reason.  Looking at the bottle label, I immediately I had a theme and knew how I would break out of the staleness that becomes this blog each year about this time.  So, with an attempt to get my swagger back and entertaining, you the reader...




Listen, if you've not seen the show, Eastbound and Down, you probably don't know who that was. It invoves some baseball and the aspirations of a former (fictional) MLB player, Kenny Powers, to get back to the show.  It's pretty lewd and crude, which is why you'll see just blank photos for the most part. While I do want to entertain, I don't want to offend.  Here's a general synopsis of what you missed in the HBO series (or not...) that lasted 4 seasons, ending in 2013:


Hope for a 5th season?  Don't hold your breath...

The best part is that shoe company K-Swiss actually took a chance on the fictional character in a marketing campaign back in 2011 and it paid off for them big time.  Not that you wear anything K-Swiss, but the idea was a pretty neat one, mainly because no real superstar would do any marketing for K-Swiss and they didn't have a ton of money to hire one.  So, they got Kenny instead.

This was as PG rated as it came.  If you aren't easily offended, check this link out.  It may turn you on to the show...or off completely.  Note - Not Safe For Work - Watch at your own risk! :)

So where was I?  Ah yes, beer.  Tonight is another repeat for a brewing company in Weyerbacher.  I tried their Sunday Mole Stout a few days ago and wasn't impressed, even though I've had some quality stuff from them before.  Tonight the inspiration came from Kenny and the beer is named Easton Brown and Down.  I didn't find anything online regarding the similarity of the name and logo to the HBO show, but if it's a concidence, it's a rather glaring one that I wouldn't believe for a second...you know, because Weyerbacher is located in Easton, PA.




I see what you did there...
.
The beer poured a reddish brown with a khaki colored head at the top.  The aroma was a roasted malt with slight chocolate notes along with a hint of nuttiness.  There were also some smaller hints of licorice, toffee, and vanilla as it warmed up gradually.


Warmer weather and a jet-ski...fitting!

This brown ale had a slight bitterness and smooth drinkability to it.  There are some nice roasted and malty chocolate flavors here too.  All in all, the beer finishes pretty dry instead of bitter or sweet.

The real reason I think this called me was because of our Elf on the Shelf.  This is his second appearance in the 25 Beers of Christmas blog.  This time, I SWEAR TO GOD I did not script this photo.  Well, I did put the beer and bottle in front of it, but Benny (the elf) set himself up with the lady on the back.  My daughter, by way of handwritten letter asked him to pick his favorite Barbie doll from her collection and he chose this one and found a jet-ski.  Alright, it's a snowmobile...work with me here!


Proof of the letter...since you didn't believe me
A drinkable brown ale and a solid 3.5 out of 5 tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment