Saturday, December 24, 2016

December 24 - Evil Twin Christmas Eve at a NYC Hotel Room

Today's pick was an easy one.  It's a beer that came home with me about a year ago from Half Time Beverage in Mamaroneck, NY.  If you need a refresher on that trip, check it out.  If not, continue on!


The tricky part was to try and get it to the following year.  I had to hide it from myself down in the basement so I wouldn't be tempted to throw it in the fridge quick and chill it.

Well, it's been a year and I just threw it in the fridge last night.  Since we have a family Christmas party to attend tonight, it's time to do some day drinking and blogging at the same time!



From Evil Twin Brewing, we're trying their Christmas Eve at a New York City Hotel Room, which is a 10% imperial stout.  This could go either way...



Pros on being in a NYC Hotel Room
You're in NYC
You probably have quick access to the subway system because this guy isn't driving the city
Hotel bar is possible so you can stumble upstairs when you're ready
...that's all I got

Cons on being in a NYC Hotel Room
It's expensive
NYC is expensive
You're going to run into people all day long when you leave the hotel room
If you're not a fan of crowds, you're screwed
Lingering cigarette smoke, maybe?
That hotel bar where the beer is also expensive

These guys have some strange names for their beers, but I'm going out on a limb here and predicting that it'll be worth the wait.

Not expecting pain here, however

The pour was obviously going to be a jet black while the head a creamy brown.  Aromas here were coffee and chocolate with some dark fruits (plum/raisin) in the background.  A heavy, alcoholic bitter flavor punched me in the taste buds at first.  There was a massive dose of roasted coffee there too. 




If you enjoy a bitter stout, this may be something you need to try.  For me, even though I enjoy bitter beers, this is a little too much for me and isn't very well balanced from sweet to bitter.  Maybe the time in the bottle in my beer cellar didn't do this any favors.  Lots of reviews put this thing up there in the 4+ out of 5 range.  Right now, I can't put it up there, even though I thought going into it I would.  This reminds me of the last blog post I did last year, thinking I'd go out with a bang on a quality beer, only to be disappointed.  When the Untappd community puts a beer near or above a 4/5, you know it should be spot on. 




Maybe I should let things warm up a bit.  We have learned from prior experience that these heavy beers change profiles as they warm up.  Let's let it sit for a bit...I'm in no hurry.

I was thinking Jeopardy theme song, but this is way better
With warming things up a bit, the bitterness wasn't as potent, and the balance between sweet and bitter was present.  Maybe it's the alcohol talking, or the fact that I haven't had lunch yet and it's nearly 2PM, but I'm back to impressed with this selection and glad I picked it up. 

 
I won't take all the credit here because my experience has taught me something in the last 4 years.  I'll definitely put this beer back up to a 4 out of 5, just make sure you let it warm up before you enjoy it.  Merry Christmas Eve everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment