Thursday, December 10, 2015

December 10 - Sweetwater Hash Brown

After this Thursday, I started my evening a little early with a Leinie's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter.  It was that kind of day.  However, after a decent dinner, my taste buds were reset.  

...and a second one too...

Since there's always a backstory, I'll give you this one too.  I scoped this beer out at my local bottle shop and it wasn't even on the shelves yet.  I asked if the beer was available to purchase since I've not seen it before and I absolutely wanted to try it.  Tonight from SweetWater Brewing Company is their India Style Brown Ale, Hop Hash.  There's a lot of "420" references with this company and the Hash Brown description on the side of the bottle includes one as well.  



I recall having a beer from this brewery when I was visiting Walt Disney World in the summer of 2014.  Searching through local bottle shops in our down time, I found their IPA (which was decent) and their 420 Extra Pale Ale (also decent).  Since they're located in Atlanta, it's not easy to find their stuff, but according to their website it appears they're attempting to get some more distribution into our area!



This beer poured a dark brown color with a finger of beige head at the top into a nonic pint glass. There was some nice lacing all around here too with this beer.  The aroma was a pine and resin hop one along with some sweeter brown sugar and roasted malt.

With the first sip of this beer there was another strong malty backbone along with the traditional brown ale flavor.  Roasted caramel flavor dominated this beer along with some sweet malt to boot.  The beer finished with some additional caramel roastiness and a decent hop bite to wrap things up.  Overall, a well-balanced brew for sure that is worth the try for the hophead.  

This brew almost reminds me of Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale. This beer, however, has a much different and, in my humble opinion, slightly better hop profile.

Yeah Dude, that's my job...

The Dude abides...4 out of 5


No comments:

Post a Comment