Wednesday, December 23, 2015

December 23 - Hoppin Frog - Frosted Frog Christmas Ale


Today marks the last Winter Warmer Wednesday post of the 2015 beer blog!  I was fortunate enough tonight to have some friends invite my wife and I over for a bottle share to get ready for the holidays.  I'll be honest.  After those 8 different beers my reviewing skills  may be slightly off.  No worries, 4 ounces at a time over a 4 hour period makes it all good!



Tonight, for the final WWW post of the year is a Hoppin' Frog Frosted Frog Christmas Ale, an 8.6% ABV Winter Warmer chock full of spice.  I honestly thought that I'd had this before, but according to my trusty Untappd app I was wrong.

The beer poured a clear, caramel color with little head at the top that quickly vanished from my 4 ounce tasting glass.

The aroma was what appeared to be a balanced and solid blend of spices which was predominantly cinnamon and ginger along with a hint of nutmeg and a strong caramel backbone to round things out.

With each sip came a caramel flavor with ginger and cinnamon bite which lingered along with some residual ginger to finish things off to warm the throat.

Right on with the spices and malts for a WW for sure.  I'll give this a solid 3.75 out of 5 for a style that's not something I look for, even on a seasonal basis.  However, this is probably one of the better balanced WW styles that I've had in the last 3 years for sure with the spices and malts coming together.  

No comments:

Post a Comment