Tuesday, December 15, 2015

December 15 - Great Divide Titan IPA

A few Valentine's Days ago, my wife and I went out with a group of friends to a restaurant in Bloomsburg that doesn't even exist anymore.  While there, I found a couple new beers that I'd never seen before. There was a Rogue XS something or other and another beer that I couldn't forget. Fast forward to this past weekend, where I finally found it again.

This was the Rogue...only because I recall the label colors.  Didn't realize it was an Imperial until later on... 


Enter, Great Divide Titan IPA.  With a name like this it was unforgettable. With a brewery located in Colorado it's obvious that they don't ship to many local retailers in my area.  Definitely a shame.


To say that I'm excited to try this beer again would be an understatement.  When I found it, there was no turning back.  I almost felt it my duty to pick it up and pay for it and drink it immediately, however, I had to drive home from Lancaster and I knew that if I had one, I would have another, and then get a pizza, and another one of these, and then they'd be all sold out and I'd be sad and then I would have to drown my sorrows in another beer, potentially finding out that I liked something else just as much and well...the cycle continues.  

Sorry if you're a grammar nazi, but I was just excited a few seconds ago.
OK, enough back story...

The beer poured a hazy, yet clear golden color with a thin bead of beige head at the top of my IPA glass.

The aroma of this beer definitely sets it apart from other IPAs I've had before. There was a complex, fruity hop bouquet here ranging from a very vague tropical fruit to a specific cherry and tangerine orange.  From a nondescript woodsy aroma to a distinct mild pine. There were definitely other aromas I could have pulled, but I got too anxious and wanted to try this to see if it was just as desirable as I recall.

yep...definitely was...


The sip started with a very in your face, hop forward bite of orange and grapefruit and ended with a very mild smoothness, lacking much of a bite.  Describing the finish in one word...tangy.



This is the second best IPA that I recall in recent memory, right up there with DFH 120, Heady Topper, and Lawson's Sip of Sunshine. Those are all double or imperial IPAs, with Titan, just a single, at 7.1%.  Sadly, none of these are very accessible to me unless you have friends who visit Vermont or Delaware on a frequent basis.  It just so happens I do :)

I don't think I need to tell you how much I really enjoyed this beer.  If you get a chance to try it, you should skip it and bring me the entire stock you find so that others won't be disappointed.  I'll take one for the team on this one.  

4.5 out of 5 hops from this hop loving blogger!


All kidding aside, try it.  You won't be disappointed!  Also, I was serious about bringing some back for your ol' blogging buddy.  I'd be appreciative for sure!


Adding to my ugly Christmas sweater/shirt collection to boot!  Just can't wear this to school!

No comments:

Post a Comment