Monday, December 14, 2015

December 14 - Weyerbacher Double Simcoe

I'm going to keep this short, because otherwise I'd rant and rave more than needed about Weis quality control and the fact that this beer was sitting on the shelf in November when it should have been pulled in August. I guess I'll have to be the guy who checks beer expiration dates in the future.

Seriously, if I EVER do this with a beer, punch me in the face...

Normally at 9% I wouldn't care, but this is just a perpetual bomb of floating, flying particulate balls of yeast that I, thankfully, didn't feel the need to chew.

I'll be as impartial as possible, but this just irritates me.  



Tonight another beer from Lehigh Valley brewing company, Weyerbacher, we are having their Double Simcoe IPA.  A double IPA that, again, weighs in at an even 9% ABV.  My brother in law brought this bad boy over about 7 years ago and I haven't had it since.  Honestly, even in light of the yeastiness that was here, I didn't mind it too much.  I'm more pissed at Weis...myself too for not checking the bottle more carefully.

Aside from the white pieces of yeast obstructing the color, it poured a hazy amber color with an off white head at the top of my IPA glass.  Maybe it was unfiltered...

I'm not exaggerating here either...take a look at those floaters!


A sweet malty aroma filled the nose with some citrus pine and earthy hops added in.
The beer tasted just like it smelled, sweet and malty with the citrus and pine hop bite in the finish.  For those who don't really dig hoppy and bitter beers, this one may surprise you.  There just wasn't a harsh bitter here at all.  All in all, a decent DIPA!

3.75 out of 5 hops tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment