Wednesday, December 2, 2015

December 2 - Fish Brewing Co. - Ice Breaker...I think?

Welcome back for day #2!  If you're unaccustomed to how things run around here, it's time for Winter Warmer Wednesday!  Each Wednesday, I'll make it a point to review a winter warmer style beer.  Not always a hit with me, but i'll take one for the team.

This is what I want to do to this bottle right now...

Can I be honest for a second? How about for a minute?

I haven't had ANYTHING from this brewery that is something to rave over. I'm pulling for these guys and I don't want to see any craft brewer fail. Some people like these beers, but not me.  I've given them a few tries, different styles even. Nothing so far has piqued my interest enough to purchase another single bottle, let alone a 6 pack or case.  To be brutally honest, I'm soon done buying their stuff.  I have one more later on this month and that's it.  



I'm just getting this beer out of the way. I believe in second chances.  I saw it at Weis and decided, "what the heck.  I'll give these guys another shot since it's something I haven't tried."



Problem #1 - When I searched for this beer on my trusty Untappd app, I either find it under the name Icebreaker or the proper name with a different label.  What exactly am I drinking here?  Not a big deal, but if it's Icebreaker then it's a Double IPA and if it's Winterfish it's a Winter Warmer.  It's a 7.5% beer, in which case it could technically be either style.

My label is like the one in the upper right corner.  Their website shows the bottom right label as "official."  The one on the left...well, see below...


Problem #2 - I did a google search for the brewery to see what they had to say.  Icebreaker isn't even on their site.  It's like it doesn't exist.  

Problem #3 - This beer is just awful.  I'm sorry Fish Tale, but it's awful.  I'll give you the Cliff Notes version since it's just not worth the time.  I'll review this from a DIPA standpoint since there's NOTHING winter warmer about it.  

The beer poured a hazy, golden amber with a decent beige head on top.  The aroma was very earthy hop-like...like dirty hop-like.  

I love hops...even earthy ones...


The taste was exactly the same with an obnoxiously bitter and astringent finish.  It almost reminded me of soap.  Unfortunately, the bitterness hangs on for a long time, as well as the soapy flavor.  


I apologize for the abundance of pictures this evening, but I had to make myself laugh and it needed to be spiced up a tad to be a bearable post.  I need you to want to continue reading the rest of the month, right?  I will forgo another fancy photo collage of my pretty rating and just tell you I gave it a 1 out of 5 on Untappd.  It irritated me from the beginning and since it screwed up my Winter Warmer Wednesday segment, it got demoted.  

Tomorrow will be better...I promise.  You know, since I get to choose what I drink.  Excuse me while I go pour another beer to get this awful taste out of my mouth...

No comments:

Post a Comment