Saturday, December 12, 2015

December 12 - New Belgium Acculmulation

Got to play Santa Claus today and after a long day of shopping and stopping at a new sushi joint for dinner, sans children.  Don't worry, the wife and I found a new bottle shop that we will be hitting up in Lancaster next time we're around too.  We made a pit stop at The Fridge, a craft beer and pizza joint that had some hard to find brews on tap, did growler fills, and individual bottle purchase.  You could sit and enjoy your cold brew and food, or grab a few for the road instead.  Since we were pressed for time, a sit down review will have to potentially wait until the 2016 version of the SUM Brew Tour!  We had to opt for the latter option today.

Small, but spacious, The Fridge will be a stop on the way next time around for sure!

Tonight, after sitting down and unwinding after a long day, I decided to grab something wintery, just because.  I popped open Accumulation from New Belgium.  Just recently, NB has broken their way into our region, offering a lot of their line of brews to be distributed here in central PA.  Not just staples like Fat Tire, but also, Ranger IPA, Snapshot and many more, including this winter seasonal brew.  This 6.2% white IPA is something different from most winter seasonal brews in that it's light, not dark and heavy, just what the head brewer was going for!

As I got ready to log this beer into Untappd tonight, I noticed that I had already logged it before, back in 2014 while we were on vacation in Florida visiting Walt Disney World.  I got to spend a decent amount of time at the house since my kiddo wasn't too keen on the sweltering summer heat in the south.  So, as he napped, I imbibed in some new brews poolside.  I remember it like it was yesterday...

Poolside during a rainstorm, with a Cigar City Florida Cracker

Enjoying a 90 with the guys

...moments before my son stuck his hand in Mickey's mouth...you see him eyeing it up right here...
Where the Mohr men spent most of their time
I even got me some disc golf in at Bill Frederick Park...not that you care, but I wanted to use that picture for something


I remembered this beer as I tasted it and also recalled that it didn't seem much like a winter beer to me.  I found it odd that it was available in June, being a winter seasonal, but since it was new, I picked it up.  This time around, I still feel the same way, including my initial 3.5 rating out of 5.  This beer is definitely more of a spring or summer beer for sure.

OK, enough nostalgia, back to the review...

This beer poured a hazy golden color with a handful of yeasties floating around in the glass.  The off-white head was rather thick and left a small bit of lacing in the glass.  As for an aroma, this brew gave me a citrusy and earthy hop bouquet.  The taste did the same, with citrus flavor dominating along with a slight bitter finish.  Honestly, a pretty simple flavor profile, albeit a good one!  I stand with my initial rating.

I still also feel that this would be a decent summer beer, but I'm all for brewers trying new and bold things.  I picture myself grabbing one of these after mowing the lawn and in need of something a little stronger than a session beer.  This will definitely do the trick, but only if I can find it during the summer months, which will probably not be the case.

This isn't the first white IPA that I've reviewed, so if this post wasn't enough for you, check out my Bell's White Winter Ale review from 2014.  Forgive the broken pictures...my bad.  

No comments:

Post a Comment