Saturday, December 5, 2015

December 5 - Sixpoint Brewing 4Beans

After the hustle and bustle of last night's party, and today's cleaning up around the house and rounding out the Christmas decorating, it's time to sit down for a few and unwind with a new brew.  I have a bit more time tonight for a better post, unlike last night's post which I threw together quickly.

Tonight, from Sixpoint Brewery in Brooklyn, New York we have an Imperial Porter, 4Beans.  This beer is brewed with coffee added and Madagascar vanilla beans.  Clocking in at a whopping 10%, this beer in a can packs a punch for sure!  

Doing some research after drinking this, the name comes from the inclusion of 4 different types of beans to brew this beer; coffee, cacao, vanilla, and romano beans.  This is an updated version of their 3Beans recipe from 2013 that adds the Madagascar vanilla beans.  Take a look at the video below from Sixpoint regarding their 3Beans brew.  It's a pretty cool view if you have 13 minutes.






Over the past year, I find myself drinking a lot more coffee than I used to.  I initially thought that it was because 2 kids and a busy lifestyle called for it, like a pre-requisite.  After a while, I found myself appreciating the different flavors that each cup of coffee had, much like different flavors in beers.  

Not this late in the evening though, it's time to make the switch!

Anyways, back to the beer.  This beer poured an opaque, jet black color with a thin, creamy, beige head.  A roasted malty aroma was prevalent with this beer along with some sweet vanilla notes.  I almost could gather a hint of bourbon here too, which adds even more layers to the nose.

When it was cold, this beer had a heavy, roasted malt flavor initially followed by a coffee bitter bite at the finish.  A thickness, almost syrup like, coated every part of my mouth after each sip.

After the beer warmed up a bit, the coffee bite could be enjoyed throughout the sip.  One more thing to mention is that between sips, not right afterwards, there was a nice warming sensation in the throat, probably from the high ABV of this java-infused brew.

Each beer I've had from these guys has been a winner, from their Global Warmer to their Resin as well as The Crisp.  Each style just tastes like a quality brew.  I just wish I could get this around here instead of having a friend bring stuff back home for me (thanks again by the way!).  

This one is no different.  If you run across any of their beers anywhere, as long as you like the style of beer you pick from them, I guarantee you won't be disappointed.  If you are, just drop it off at my place and I'll be glad to help you finish it.  I feel like I've said that before...


4 beans for 4Beans out of 5 tonight!  



Borrowed my wife's iPhone for this snapshot.  Looks like I need to upgrade my camera in the near future...I'll stop the artsy can stuff at some point...maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment