Monday, December 7, 2015

December 7 - Flying Dog Counter Culture Ale

I got some work to do tonight now that the kids are asleep, and I don't mean the blog.  So, there were enough words last night to last you the week, however don't worry.  I'll still give you the skinny on another beer.

Tonight marks the end of week 1, and the 25 (or maybe 31, time will tell...) Brews of Christmas is about a quarter of the way over.  Well, I guess that depends on how many days we're doing this.  Remember, there are 3 kinds of people in this world; those that are good at math and those that are bad at math.



Anyway, tonight out of Frederick, Maryland from Flying Dog Brewing is their American Ale, Counter Culture.  Flying Dog makes some pretty good beer if you've never had it.  My favorite comes in the summer time when they brew Dead Rise Summer Ale.  I got turned on to these guys with a Belgian IPA that was pretty cheap for the 8.3% case I found at my local distributor called Raging Bitch.



The beer poured a translucent caramel brown color with an off-white 1 finger head on top.  There was a thin, frothy head that laced nicely on the glass.  I made sure it was clean tonight too.

Aroma is a nutty, earthy caramel one with some hints of licorice in there.  There are some slight, sweet toffee notes in there too.

The beer is classified on Untappd as a red ale, but the Flying Dog site has it as an American Ale.  Honestly, it reminds me of an ESB.  There is a strong malty backbone with some decent hoppiness throughout that lasts through the entire sip and beyond.  There are some nutty (almost maybe a pine nut?) notes in here too, right in the middle of the sip.  The finish is a nice, smooth caramel that is just slightly bitter and sweet at the same time.

Overall, this beer is a winner.  I was going to pick up a 6 pack a few weeks back, but I wanted to taste it first before committing to 6 of them.  Now that I've tried it, I have no problem committing to a few of these next time.

Someone else's dogs...and they're not flying, but they dress up nice.  I added that with my sweet ghetto photoshop skills.
A 3.75 out of 5 for this Flying Dog brew!

No comments:

Post a Comment