Sunday, December 10, 2017

December 10th - Innis and Gunn 2-Fer Tuesday, but on a Sunday


For whatever reason, the beers from Innis and Gunn are always at the bottom of the shelf in the mix-a-six section.  Truth be told, something that is on the bottom shelf with the Corona, Labatt Blue and the such probably isn't something that I will particularly enjoy.  I guess the exception is a few Corona's at the beach. 

Come on...you almost have to.  Otherwise I'd drink IPAs all day and pass out on the beach!

In any event, I decided to give this one a fair shake along with another you'll see later this month.  That is, unless I really like this one and decide to go get its friend out of the fridge too.



The pour was a very translucent medium amber color with a decent off-white head at the top.  At first, the aroma was off-putting, however I cleared my mind and tried again.  



There was a caramel malt presence that had a background of smokiness to it.  Also comes a woodiness that I assume is from the "oak aging" it goes through, according to the label.  There is almost a sweet vanilla scent that can be found in here as well, which is very pleasant.  As for the flavor, it is a super-sweet caramel maltiness that is only slightly bitter at the end that also is coupled with a strange dryness.  In its medium body, toffee and vanilla can be found in the background of the flavor profile as well.  



You know what?  This Scottish beer isn't too bad for what I was expecting.  I figured I'd get this blog out of the way early with an overall poor choice and have the rest of the night to enjoy some chili that's cooking as I type, some family time, and some football before the work week begins.  However, I have to wonder now, what else is out there that I've passed up before?


Honestly, if you see this sitting on the bottom of the shelf next time you're trying to finish out your mix-a-six at Weis or somewhere else, give it a try.  You won't be blown away, but you may experience something that you weren't expecting, like myself.  





Why not compare the two?



I'm going to do something unprecedented here today.  Well, I guess I may have done this before.  Let's go for a 2-For Tuesday (on a Sunday).

Next up...


The other version I picked up was the rum aged scotch ale.  According to the label it is "beer aged with rum oak chips."  The ABV gets a small bump here  at 6.8%, I assume from the rum chips.  

The pour was pretty close, yet it could be argued that it was slightly darker than the original.  As for everything else (aroma, taste, etc.), just add a slight amount of rum to it and you have the same review from above.  The rum isn't bitey at all, but compliments this beer, if rum beers are your thing.



Personally, I preferred the original to the rum version.  Both were unexpected treats on a blistery Sunday early evening, however, I'm going to dock .25 points for the usage of rum here, making the original version the winner with a 3.75 rating out of 5.  


Chili is ready...see you tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment