Tuesday, December 12, 2017

December 12th - Port Brewing Nelson The Greeter IPA


There were definitely tacos to be had tonight, but I already ate them by the time I was ready to review anything.  Instead we could refer to tonight's selection as a Tavour Tuesday, but in all honesty it's been since the 7th since I've reviewed an IPA and right now, it's the only new IPA I have cold so we're going to go with it.  From Port Brewing in California, is an American IPA that weighs in at 6% ABV.  Something light and fresh to keep things rolling this week.  You can check out their website via the link provided, but it doesn't appear they have updated much of anything since 2014.  It appears they've combined forces with The Lost Abbey, or have basically melded the two brands together.  In any event, I don't feel like taking the time to look at the moment.



The can provides the only backstory you need here for this beer:



"Laid back and hop forward, Port Brewing has been producing world-class beers since 2006.  Black's beach (an iconic surf break in north county San Diego) is known to locals as a clothing optional beach.  Located below the world famous cliffs of Torrey Pines, getting to this remote area requires a steep trek down a trail to its secluded shores.  Imagine a peaceful descent down to the trailhead whereby you might be greeted by the de factor mayor of nudity.  Nelson the Greeter.  Shocking right?  Well that's Nelson for you.  A brazenly confident and assertive hop from New Zealand, who also masquerades as a far man in search of his speedo...or so we hear."



I didn't really look too close at the can until I used it to copy the backstory as well as after I downloaded the thumbnail to use as the picture above.  


Call me crazy, but I'm not trying to sell a beer with a nudist as part of the label art.  Then again, I'm also not a beer company, so what do I know?


The pour was the slightest bit hazy golden yellow.  Rising from the head that was retained through out enjoying this tonight was a tropical fruit and earthy hop aroma which was very juicy! The flavor was a solid medium malt body with some moderate hop bitterness up front that dissipated towards the end of the sip.  More tropical fruity flavors were in this hop profile like pineapple, melon and even some berry flavors.  The lacing on this glass was outstanding as well!

Very complex hop profile for this one and a very well done IPA.  A no-brainer 4 out of 5 for Nelson the Greeter.  Not quite sessionable at 6%, but it sure tastes like it could be!  That being said, Nelson, I hope you find your speedo.  If you're still looking for it, at least do so with a beer with your name on it.


Our elf (Benny) thought it wasn't cool that there was a beer named that.  I used a cutout on my tap handle so folks knew what they were drinking.  This isn't the first time this elf has made an appearance in the blog.  I felt the need to fit him in tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment