Tuesday, December 5, 2017

December 5th - Sierra Nevada Narwhal 2017


I got nothing tonight with respect to a backstory or witty commentary.  However, it is Repeal Day, the day prohibition ended back in 1933.  So that's something.



Tonight's selection comes from Sierra Nevada in California.  In the few years I've imbibed in their stuff, Sierra Nevada doesn't make anything sub-par in my opinion.  Everything I've had from them is quality stuff.  I guess I'll fill some space with my thoughts on them, overall.

Their Pale Ale is great.
Their IPA selection is awesome, especially Celebration this time of year.
Otra Vez got me started on the Gose style, which was brewed with cactus.
Bigfoot barleywine style ale is always sought after when it's released.
Hoptimum Triple IPA is a hop bomb, in a good way.
Beer Camp Across the World, albeit overpriced in my opinion in a 12 pack, always has some funky and amazing collaboration brews that are unfortunately a 1 and done run.

Enter the Narwhal...

Disclaimer, this is NOT the Sierra Nevada label...but maybe it should be...?

Narwhal (2017) is a seasonal brew that I've never run across, and if I have I honestly didn't pay attention to it.  I found this beer, and 3 of its friends, in a mix-a-six section at the local Weis store.  From time to time someone who manages that section make a mistake and puts a higher priced 4 or 6 pack in this section.  If I'm lucky, I'll be there when it happens.  



Two years ago I scored 5 Founder's Breakfast Stout's and something else for $11.99, which is a steal.  This time around, I know I can't get a 4 pack of this for $11.99, so I grabbed what was put out and 2 other scrubs to round out my squad.  



Pouring into my stout glass was a nearly opaque black beer that had a thin ring of tan colored head on the top.  Roasted chocolate malts are abundant here with some slight chocolate notes also.  A velvety, rich abundance of flavors welcome the lucky recipient of this 10.2% Imperial Stout with the first sip.  There is a hint of smokiness at the beginning, immediately followed by notes of chocolate and roasted malts, slight hints of sweet honey, followed by slightly bitter baker's chocolate.  Finishing up each sip was a slight alcohol warmth to round things out.  The bottle didn't last too long.

This was the perfect thing to round on a rainy day in central PA.  After being out in the rain and soaking wet after just a few short moments, a bold, robust beer was needed instead of a lighter bodied brew this evening.  Easily rating this a 4.5 out of 5 tonight and the best brew in the past 5 days!

Did you know that a narwhal horn can be up to 9 feet long?  #FunFact

Be sure to check in tomorrow for the first installment of Winter Warmer Wednesday!



No comments:

Post a Comment