Friday, December 15, 2017

December 15th - Troegs Mad Elf Grand Cru

It's a Celebration!



Simply because it's Friday and there's only 1 more week of work standing between me and a pretty sweet break!  

Full disclosure: I know the rules state that I'll review a beer that I've not reviewed before, however, tonight may be a slight exception.  I've done this one time before.  It's my blog and I'll do what I want, but if you need a full explanation or my own rationale for this decision, read the rest of this paragraph.  If not, skip it and move on.  First of all, my review in 2013 was pretty lackluster at best.  Secondly, since Troegs comes out with a new Mad Elf each year, I think I'm safe.  Third and finally, we're trying something new this time around in a vertical tasting.  


Honestly, since I'm only comparing it to the 2017 release instead of comparing a 2017 with a 2016, 2015, and so on, it's not technically a vertical, but it's as close as I can get tonight.



It's been a few weeks, but word got out to me from a little birdie that Giant in Lewisburg just got a shipment of Troegs Mad Elf Grand Cru at that time and I just conveniently scheduled a trip to the newly established Children's Museum.  Jeez, since I'm so close, I should at the very least stop and see what was there, right?



Mad Elf, an  11% ABV seasonal release is always made with cherry and honey and, at least locally, is pretty sought after, despite it's increasingly larger supply along with it's still higher price point.  I snagged the Grand Cru bomber bottle for a cool $13.00 instead of purchasing a "regular 2017 edition" 6-pack for nearly $20.00.  



In addition, I just so happened to snag one of the 2017 Mad Elf bottles in my case club this time around.  What better opportunity to do a side-by-side taste test of them both at the same time to see who came out on top?



Let's start with the Grand Cru.  

The Grand Cru poured a reddish-brown color that is described by Troegs as burgundy.  Comparatively, this is much clearer than the 2017 Mad Elf we'll get to soon.  There was an ever so small thin bead of head that eventually dissipated to nothingness.  There was a syrupy look to this beer instead of a lacing on the glass like the Mad Elf.  The aroma was sweet cherry along with some slight notes of honey.  You can't help but enjoy the mouth-puckering sweetness of flavor as it first hits the palate, noting the cherries first and foremost.  This beer is packed with some cherry for sure.  The finish is a semi-thick, malty one with some boozy cherry warmth finishing things up here in a very smooth way.  For the style, the 11% is definitely there, but is masked pretty well with the sweetness of the cherry.  Did I mention there are cherries in here?  

Next up, the 2017 edition of Mad Elf.

This selection poured a ruby red color that was also hazier in comparison.  There was much more head on the top of this brew.  Also, there was more booziness in the aroma that was coupled with the cherries along with a sweet maltiness.  This selection was not as sweet as the Grand Cru, but the cherries, honey and the malt all provide some residual sweetness in the flavor.  The cherry sticks around longer in the mouth feel with a lingering bitterness and a malty background.  

This is a pretty close race.  On one hand, if you like your booziness in the aroma, but not the flavor, go for the 2017 selection.  However, if you want the booziness in the flavor instead of the aroma, go for the Grand Cru I wonder if you mixed them together if you would get the best of both worlds?  



Personally, I enjoyed the Grand Cru more so.  Maybe that is because I've never had it before, or maybe it was actually better for my palate.  Either way, both of these are a solid pick-up this time of year!  The Grand Cru edges out itself from 2017 by a score of 4.5 out of 5 to 4.25 out of 5.  



Well done Troegs.  Well done.



No comments:

Post a Comment