Wednesday, December 6, 2017

December 6th - Flying Dog K-9



Welcome to the first of 3 installments of Winter Warmer Wednesday! This idea was spawned in year 2 of the blog because I needed a theme and a reason to better appreciate a style I wasn't overly familiar with, and what I had prior I wasn't fond of.  



Over the off-season I've thought of different themed ideas, but nothing has stuck yet.  "Taster Thursday" or "Sampler Saturday/Sunday" would be too many muddled flavors for the palate and wouldn't give anything a fair review. "Back of the Fridge Friday" may still happen with that Hamm's and Coors Extra Gold, however.  Thanks Dad!



In the meantime, tonight from Flying Dog Brewery in Maryland., is their winter warmer, K-9.  The dog theme makes sense.  Aside from tasting the beer, the label art of Ralph Steadman is always enjoyable to look at.


I like this one too!

Like last night's review of Sierra Nevada, this is another brewing company, for my taste, that produces a solid product through and through. Looking back through my Untappd check-ins, all except 1 of what I've logged gets a 3.5 and above. Their Lucky SOB Irish Red was a 3.  

Two Mental Notes...

As I'm looking back, I need to get another taste of Double Dog DIPA again.  I'm not ready for summer, but Dead Rise Summer Ale is a staple for me in the summer months.

...or to enjoy during a rain delay at Camden Yards!

I gave this sucker a vigorous pour right down the center to conjure up some good aromas in my nonic pint glass.  Unless I held this up to a light, it was pretty dark and nearly black.  With that pour there was a significant amount of a khaki colored head at the top that stuck around throughout the pint.  Immediately I was greeted with cocoa and vanilla notes in the aroma.  Unfortunately on subsequent whiffs I only got a nutty smell along with some spices.



The mouthfeel was medium bodied and sweet caramel flavor was noticed first, but not too far behind that was the spiciness that comes with this style.  I'm assuming that's the cardamom I taste, since the label mentions it.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have had a clue.  If I had to describe the spice profile, it resembles a piney hop flavor to me. The bitterness lingers a bit and there is a slight alcohol bite to this one at 7.4%.  As the beer warmed up a bit there were some plum and raisin notes to add to the flavor profile.

As for the recommendation, if winter warmer brews are your style, give this a shot.  I'll stick with status quo for this brewer and throw out a 3.75 out of 5.  There is some sweet.  There is some malt.  There is little hop.  There is a wallop of spice.  There is an empty glass.




No comments:

Post a Comment