Thursday, December 7, 2017

December 7th - Fort George Brewery Suicide Squeeze IPA


I have anxiously awaiting this day for about 2 weeks now.  One day while scrolling through my Facebook feed there was a sponsored page for a company known as Tavour.  Since laws have changed here in PA regarding distributors breaking apart their cases and grocery stores now carrying beer, certain companies (like this one) can now ship beer to PA.  Their app sends out push notifications every time they make a new beer available to their users.  There are only a few selections available at any one time so if something pops up you would like to try, you jump on it ASAP.

The gist of the company's mission is to discover beers that aren't available in your region.  Since they're shipping from Seattle, this seemed like a safe bet.  I'm still waiting for them to make some Russian River available to us PA folks.



The only catch is that you have to have it signed for when it's delivered and since my workplace may slightly frown on a package that has some blatantly obvious hints about what may be inside, my brother-in-law was able to help me out today.


If you're interested in the site, shoot me a text message and I can get you a code for $10 free towards your first order. 

Currently, I've started writing this blog while one my recent deliveries is cautiously chilling in the freezer.  I've set a timer for 20 minutes and then I'm calling it good.


The first of the west coast beers we're reviewing comes from Fort George Brewery in Astoria, Oregon.  This beer, Suicide Squeeze IPA is a collaboration beer with a local record label.  When my wife unloaded the can from the box, this was actually my first thought:



One thing I did notice, if you clicked on the link above, it appears this 7.2% IPA is available from March until June.  I'm hoping that I didn't get a leftover from the brewery that couldn't be unloaded.  I better check the date.  That reminds me, I need to get the can out of the freezer! 



The date on the can reads 11/13/17.  I'm hoping that's not the best by date, but time will tell.  For some styles, this isn't a big deal, but my guess is for this regionally distributed brew it's not meant to be aged.  Better drink it now!



The pour was a golden straw colored with a thin bead of head at the top.  A citrus aroma was present along with some resinous and earthy hops, spot on for the the style.  Surprisingly, a mild bitterness flooded my taste buds instead of what I expected.  There is a nice sweet, malty presence here along with some lemony bitterness.  A mild grapefruit flavor comes through at the end of the sip and lingers on the palate.  Something I've never noted before in a beer, there is almost a stickiness with the malts in here, making it very unique for me.  Overall, the beer starts malty sweet and ends with more bitterness than it starts with in each individual sip.



Again, this beer is unique to say the least, and I'm impressed with my first Tavour purchase as long as it isn't beyond the best by date.  I know, I feel like a beer snob complaining about the canned and best by dates.  I apologize.  However, when I pay a slight premium for something, I need to get my money's worth.


I think it's safe to say that I'll enjoy my 2nd can as much as the first with this IPA with the sheer unique balance and flavors with this beer.  When it's all said and done, I'll shoot a 3.75 out of 5 out there on Untappd tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment