Saturday, December 2, 2017

December 2nd - Fulton Beer Hopstar

I swung by one of my newer local distributors in W & S Distributors in Northumberland a weekend ago to see what they had to offer up for the blog this time around.  Well, I guess it's not a new place, but at a newer location with more of a selection than at the old location.  Anyway, after a few minutes of shopping their storefront, I walked away with about 7 new beers that range from this IPA to a Winter Warmer and back to a few brown ales.  


If you're local, I highly recommend stopping by W & S because their selection is great and it's always changing.  Their price points are pretty reasonable too!  Check them out at the Facebook link above or via Instagram.



When I walked in last Saturday, the guy who runs the place always recognizes me, greets me when I arrive, knows what I shop for, and showed me a few of the new IPAs they got in recently.  He recommended this brew from Fulton Beer out of Minneapolis, Minnesota.  It's nice to have the folks who sell the stuff be able to recommend something they think you'll like.  They care about their customers and care about what they're offering, and I have to give props to that!



He didn't have to do much arm twisting here.  Let's be honest, it is an IPA after all, and I'm a huge fan of those if you've not read the blog in the last 4 years.  A session IPA that is just under 5% ABV (4.9% to be exact, in this case) is something that should be safe to drink while I'm bottling my homebrew.  On a side note, I decided to drink some heavier stuff while brewing once and...well, let's just say I forgot to do some things that the recipe called for.  The beer turned out fine, but probably could have been better.

...it's Bryan, but ok...good talk...

In any event, I'll be reviewing that one here in a 25 Beers of Christmas first later on this month.  You'll be able to read about my newest Mohr Brewing Company creation, a Gingerbread Stout in just a few short weeks.  I'll even share the recipe if you're a homebrewer so you can try it or tweak it to fit your needs.  It still needs a name, but we have some time for that yet.  If you're submitting a name if needs to have "Mohr" in the title and if I like it and decide to use it, I'll throw a few freebies your way!  In the previous 4 years of the blog's existence, I've yet to give my own homebrew a review.  That time shall come in 3 weeks or so.



Enough playing around, let's get to the review.



I decided to use my DFH IPA glass to pour this 16 ounce can and this brew had a beautiful creamy and thick head to it which released a wonderful aroma of floral grapefruit with some hints of spiciness and earthiness.

The taste was bitter throughout as my taste buds were immediately flooded with with grapefruit bitter taking the stage as the main hop flavor I tasted here.  There was also some slight pepper towards the end to give it a slight kick.  

...just right...
The maltiness and bitterness were very well proportioned and make this session IPA one to give a whirl.  If you're not a fan of bitter, this may not be up your alley at all, but if you're looking for an IPA that is sessionable, and you can find it, I would highly recommend picking up a few of these bad boys!



No comments:

Post a Comment