Saturday, December 9, 2017

December 9th - Rogue Fresh Roast


We're going to get started early today since there is a whole day ahead of us, and by us I mean my wife and I.  We are celebrating our 11th anniversary today and there is a day of kid-free shopping and most likely a sushi dinner to round out the special day.  Since we're headed to the Harrisburg area, maybe there will be some more beer involved too!  Check out @bmohr25 on Instagram to see if something else is enjoyed later on today or follow me on Untappd if you don't already!  Don't worry...I'll make sure my wife drives! :)



I'll spare too many details today since the weekends appear to be super busy for everyone this time of year.  Take the next 5 or so minutes and get your beer blog fix!



Today from Rogue Ales and Spirits is their Fresh Roast ale which clocks in at 5.7% ABV, just right for getting things kicked off today.  The picture of the smoked malt on the front is one of the reasons I purchased this a few weeks ago.  Shopping at Weis in Lewisburg for some mix-a-six singles, and finding Narwhal, I also stumbled across this selection in a 6 pack.  For me, Rogue beers are pretty much a safe, middle of the road choice.  Even if something isn't overly grand, it's still pretty solid.  Most recently, their Cold Brew IPA that was available locally flew off shelves rather quickly.  I may or may not have had something to do with that.



Dead Guy was one of the first beers that I had from this company, simply because of the name.  I enjoyed it even though I didn't know much about the Maibock style of beer at the time.  A strange concoction of ingredients (and again the name, and label art this time too) in their New Crustacean Barleywineish Imperial IPA Sorta may be one of my all-time Rogue favorites.  



Oddly enough, you'll have to go all the way back to December 21st, 2013 to see the last time I reviewed a Rogue brew.  

Agreed!  Let's get to the review!

Today's early bird selection poured a nearly opaque deep brown color with a rich tan head at the top.  Roasted and slightly smoked malt notes powered the aroma with a coffee and slight chocolate/cocoa bitterness to round out the profile.  In addition, a slight cinnamon spice could be detected.  As for the flavor, it was dominated by the roasted malts and mixed with a smokiness that I truly enjoy in this style of beer.  Bitter chocolate and slight coffee flavors balance the malt profile very well here, leaving a decadent and abundantly flavorful taste on the palate.

Suffice it to say, I'm glad I got a 6 pack.  These will go quick however in this house.  One of the more solid beers I've had from this company for certain!  If you see it in your travels, and like a roasted and/or smoked flavor to your beers, you'll be pleased for certain.


4 out of 5 for this...the gift that keeps on giving...at least 5 more times anyway!




No comments:

Post a Comment