Tuesday, December 10, 2013

December 10

December 10th - Slyfox Christmas 2013
 
Not quite sure why I keep doing this to myself without noticing.  Maybe it's because I like Slyfox beer.  Maybe it's because there was a fun spot on the back with a built in name tag area in case you wanted to give this as a gift (anyone that wants to get me Christmas gifts, take note...).
 
What exactly was I talking about above you ask?...nutmeg...allspice...cloves...AGAIN!  Maybe I should just read a label before purchasing a beer next time.  Honestly it's because I'm a sucker for an ugly Christmas sweater, which I will now be wearing to work in the morning thanks to this beer.  If you tell me you've never bought a beer because of its label, you sir/ma'am are a liar.  I'll admit it. I do more often than not if it's something that I've never had before.
 
Anyway, aside from my rambling, this beer isn't too bad.  It's not technically classified by untappd.com (which is a pretty cool app to keep track of the beers you've had, rate them and more...)as a "winter warmer," but given the "winter ale" tag instead.  This beer, right away, has those pesky nutmeg and clove notes in the aroma, which always frighten me.  Like I've said before, I'll try anything once...usually twice when it comes to beer since my palate has the occasional off-day (there I go rambling again).  It pours a nice reddish-copper color with a thin bead of head at the top.  The cinnamon in this beer helps (at least for me) to offset the clove and nutmeg flavor.  They are definitely there, especially lingering on the tongue after swallowed.  There are also some licorice notes that I get here too.
 
Yet again, I will be adding this beer to my own personal winter warmer category, like I did yesterday.  Definitely enjoying this beer at the moment as I settle in for the night and attempt to keep warm as the wind blows outside and temperatures plummet.  Maybe I should go throw my ugly sweater on to help keep warm too...?
 
 
 Thematic as always, I give this brew 3/5 ugly sweaters.  Which is your favorite?  
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment