Thursday, December 12, 2013

December 12

December 12 - Old Forge Brewing Plowshare Porter
 
Well, it's hard to believe that this endeavor is halfway over after this blog post.  All good things must come to an end I guess (at least until next year).  Since we're not ending this yet, let's speak of that another day.
 
Tonight is a local beer from Old Forge Brewing Company in Danville.  My wife and I love heading over to OFBC for the food, atmosphere, and the variety of beers that this place has on tap.  The bad news is that we haven't been to the new brewpub since they've relocated.  The good news is that we are planning to do it in the near future (right Amanda?).
 
This brewery, as of last January, has begun selling to consumers in cans.  It seems to work out very well for them!  Well, the consumers benefit too, from a 16 oz. can instead of a 12 oz. can/bottle!
 
This beer wasn't quite what I expected from a porter.  I expected a heavy beer that would weigh me down and sit in my belly.  I got none of that.  This beer poured a deep brown color with a thick beige head at the top when poured from the can.  A slight roasty and earthy aroma were noted after this beer was poured.  As for the taste, it was a very smooth drinking porter with roasted and chocolate malts that were very evident.  Just a small bite of hops at the end finished off this porter.  Just like a typical porter, this weighs in at 5.7% ABV.
 
Tonight...I got nothing for witty wordplay or fun photos about the beer.  Just like the farmers who used a plow (with a plowshare), I'm all business tonight.
 
3.5/5
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment