Thursday, December 5, 2013

December 5th

 December 5th - He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A.
 
After two straight nights of winter warmers, (by the way, I was mistaken that last night's brew of choice...it wasn't technically a brown ale...) I thought I needed to get back to my roots...sort of...
 
India Pale Ale's are, by far, my favorite style of beer.  The first IPA that I ever had was at the beach, on vacation, quite a few years ago.  I took a sip and thought to myself, "Dear God, who wants to drink flowers?"  Now, IPAs are my go-to beer.  I haven't found too many IPAs that I don't like.  If I find a Double IPA it's an added bonus.  A Rye IPA is a variation of an IPA with more malty mouth feel.  Add them all up, and what do you have?  A Rye IPA that weighs in at a very stiff 10% ABV!
 
He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. from Schmaltz Brewing Company, is a very malty, and very hoppy, Rye DIPA.  Made in honor of Lenny Bruce, a Jewish comedian with very controversial viewpoints (insert history lesson), this is brewed with 8 different types of hops and then dry-hopped with 3 types of hops, there is a definite hoppy-presence with this beer.  I have had hoppier beers, but with this one the hop balance is just right.  It pours just like an IPA should with a copper color and an aromatic head.  Overall, quality Rye DIPA!
 
In honor of the Jewish faith and nature of this beer, I give it 4/5 Stars of David.
 
Mazel Tov to you Lenny Bruce!  And Mazel Tov to you if you're Jewish, and reading this too! 
 
If you're not, then to you I say cheers! 

PS - Happy "End Of Prohibition" Day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment