Monday, December 16, 2013

December 16

December 16 - Hoppin' Frog Frosted Frog Christmas Ale
 
Seeing that I didn't have a theme for today's choice, I just picked the prettiest bottle in the fridge and popped it open tonight.  The winner was Frosted Frog Christmas Ale from Hoppin' Frog Brewing Company (from Ohio).  This brewery is relatively new to me.  The only things that I've seen from them are bombers at my local bottle shop.  I've had their Gangster Frog IPA and Double Pumpkin before which I was pleased with so I figured I needed to give them another go 'round with a different type of brew.
 
Another winter warmer here, but I think lately I'm picking brews without those god-forsaken cloves (I guess I'm getting lucky because I'm sure not reading the bottles that closely when I purchase them).  According to the bottle, this has cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg (SWEET! NO CLOVE!).  There is a definite nutmeg and cinnamon aroma with this brew.  The ale pours a translucent caramel color with very little head. 
 
For me, this is a very smooth drinking winter warmer (and we all know how I LOVE winter warmers...maybe they're growing on me...?).  The mixture of spices is far from overwhelming.  Honestly, I notice the cinnamon the most out of all of the spices used.  There is some lingering nutmeg on the palate with a brown sugar and molasses taste as well.
 
Yet again, the alcohol is well hidden.  There is a slight warming sensation with this beer, but at 8.6% ABV, it makes sense that something should be there. 
 
So, my gift to you, this beer's rating checks in at a 4 out of 5.
 
Yay! Presents!

No comments:

Post a Comment