Tuesday, December 3, 2013

December 3rd

 December 3rd - Dark Horse Brewing Company - 4 Elf Winter Warmer Ale
 
 
Not quite sure why I bought this, other than the fact that I have never had it before.  I guess I'll try anything once!
 
Winter warmer's are probably my least favorite category of beer.  I usually can find something from a category that I actually like.  Leinekugel's Summer Shady is one of very few shandy beers I can palate (I actually enjoy it!).  The only thing that comes close to palatable in this category for me is Sam Adams Old Fezziwig Ale.  I usually get rid of that in the variety pack since my brother-in-law drinks it (thanks Nate!).
 
Back to this beer...at an 8.75% ABV, the alcohol is very well hidden.  There is not a boozy taste with this beer.  However, the spice combination doesn't do it for me.  I can get past the nutmeg.  I can get past the allspice...but the clove is what does me in.  There aren't too many things I enjoy with cloves.  This beer is included in that statement. 
 
For me, a rating of 2.5 lumps of coal out of 5 (either way, it's in the middle) is as high as I'll go.  Looking at Rate Beer, this beer falls into the 94th percentile.  Chalk it up to a difference in palates, I guess.  Tomorrow's brew will have to be better than this...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment